Welcome to the C.I.A. An Agency unmatched in its espresso pulling capabilities, functioning as one team of baristas, fully integrated into the coffee community.

Drink of the Week: Americano

Posted by Brittney Murray Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:57 AM


You've seen it on the menu of your favorite coffeehouse, but exactly what is it? Espresso and hot water to put it simply. The Americano is the less fancy item on the menu other than a simple drip coffee, but it has its own delightfully full flavor. The Americano came about during World War II when American soldiers would add hot water to espresso so they could have a cup of coffee that tasted more like their brew back home rather than the ones in their D, C, or K-rations. Honestly, I can't blame them for doing so and I'm grateful for their discovery.

Some of you may be unwilling to try this drink, but don't discount it for its simplicity. If you're new to espresso drinks, I highly recommend giving this one a chance because the flavor of the espresso is still evident, but its bite is tamed thanks to the water. The recipe for an Americano is very simple, one to two shots of espresso and then add hot water. Much like a cup of drip coffee, although slightly stronger, an Americano can be doctored up with your favorite cream or sugar. I definitely enjoy this drink, but I prefer it most without cream or sugar. I love tasting the fullness of the espresso's flavor and I think you'll agree once you try it as well.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment